High quality ingredients are the foundation of good food. And they’re super important to us as citizens of what we hope is an improving food ecosystem. Yet so much of the talk about where food comes from is full of terminology sleight of hand that misleads instead of educating.
Call us antisocial but we’re not playing that game of linguistic twister. Source talk should be straightforward, unambiguous and include as many specific examples as possible.
For us that means cows are grassfed and grain-finished, meats are free of antibiotics and added hormones, poultry is cage-free with room to roam, seafood is thoughtfully sourced, and everything is raised as naturally and close to us as possible.
We’re also believers in emerging industry standards, like the REAL Certification we’re proud to have earned, that help consumers sort through all the fuzz and find providers who align with their values.
We’re constantly tweaking our source mix but here’s a representative list so you can see how our approach translates to real-life and judge for yourself.
The Current List for DC-MD-VA area:
- Eberly Poultry – PA
- Roseda Farms – MD
- Allen Farms – DE
- Creekstone Farms – KS
- Langenfelder Farms – MD
- Elysian Fields Farm – PA
- Coastal Sunbelt Produce – MD
- Turkey Knob Farm – VA
- Scott Farms – NC
- Fells Point Wholesale Meats – MD
- Blue Ridge Produce - Elkwood, VA
- Capital Meat Company - Washington, DC
- Plainville Farms - New Oxford, PA
- Heritage Farms - Seven Springs, NC
- Keany Produce - Landover, MD
- Capital Seaboard Seafood & Produce - Jessup, MD
- J.J. McDonnell Seafood - Jessup, MD
The Current List for LA area:
- Newport Meats - Irvine CA
- Harmony Farms - Selma, CA (pork is from IL)
- Fish King Glendale - CA
- Melissa’s Produce - CA
- Mary’s Chicken - Sanger, CA
- Niman Ranch - Alameda, CA
- South Central Farms Organic Produce - LA, CA
- Wieser Farms - Tehachapi and the Lucerne Valley, CA
- Underwood Farms - Moorpark, CA
- Maua Farms - CA
- Tutti Frutti Organic Farms - Lompoc, CA
The Current List for SF area:
- Mary’s Free Range Chicken – San Joaquin Valley, CA
- Rocky’ Free Range Chicken – Petaluma, CA
- Diestel Turkey Ranch – Sonora, CA
- Niman Ranch – U.S.A.
- Homestead Natural Meats – U.S.A.
- Coleman Natural Foods – U.S.A.
- Golden Gate Meat Company – Richmond, CA (distributor)
- Del Monte Meat Company – South San Francisco, CA (distributor)
- ABS Seafood – San Francisco, CA (distributor)
- Aloha Seafood – San Francisco, CA (distributor)
- VegiWorks – San Francisco, CA (distributor)
- Berkeley Bowl – Berkeley, CA (distributor)
- C&L Produce – Oakland, CA (distributor)
The Current List for DFW area:
- We're putting the list together now, as you read this! Have a source you think we should know about? Let us know.
And yes, you read correctly, grassfed grain-finished. We’re big believers in being super clear above all else and don’t want to contribute to the food label fuzz that’s out there. 100% grassfed, like many of the farmers we’ve visited who raise it, is awesome.
But right now really high quality, humanely raised grain-finished beef from sources we name is the best fit for the quality, cost, availability equation we manage for our customers. If/when that changes, we’ll call it out. For example we can’t yet get our locally focused heads around sourcing grassfed from Australia or Uruguay. But if we do, we’ll share why and go forward. ‘Til then, we only know the unvarnished way.
Any questions, email us. We’ve got a dedicated team of food quality experts who constantly work to evolve and uphold these standards working closely with the community of chefs we partner with. Takes constant study and learning… and no small supply of just digging this topic. It’s a complicated, always changing ditty but we straight love this stuff and are happy to chat on it.